These Files Can’t be Opened Error Fix in Windows 10, 8.1, 8 and 7: Windows OS is the most popular computer OS and is being used by Millions of users around the world. However, sometimes while working on your Windows PC running Windows 10, 8.1, 8 or Windows 7, errors pop up from nowhere. These errors usually occurs because there is something isn’t right with your PC and one of the most common error in Windows PC is These files can’t be opened error. This error is not specific to any particular version of OS and as a result you can get it in Windows 10, Windows 8.1 /8 and Windows 7.
These Files Can’t be Opened Error Fix in Windows 10, 8.1, 8 and 7 : Best Fixes
You can fix these files can’t be opened error in Windows PC easily. However, before you proceed with the fix, let us find out why and how this error occurs. These files can’t be opened error usually pops up in Windows 10, 8.1 /8, and Windows 7 when you try to open or run an .exe (executable) file downloaded from distrusted URL or website. Now, reason for this error is that default settings of Windows security that doesn’t allows the running of these exe files. So, basically, fix for this error is to allow files to be installed on your Windows PC despite being from distrusted sources. Here is how to fix These files can’t be opened error in Windows PC. Follow below given steps to know how to fix These files can’t be opened error in Windows.
Method 1: Reset Internet Explorer to Fix These Files Can’t be Opened Error
This may look a bit odd, but resetting your Internet Explorer can actually solve this problem. Several users have reported that simply resetting their Internet Explorer settings has fixed the problem. Follow below given steps to fix These Files Can’t be Opened Error in Windows 7, 8.1 / and Windows 10.
- Open Internet Explorer on your PC and Next, click on Tools Gear icon (top right corner) and select Internet Options.
- In the Internet Options click on Advanced Tab and In the Advanced Tab, click on Reset button and then tap once more on Reset.
- There you go! This should fix this problem for you. However, in case this didn’t work, proceed with method 2.
Method 2: Fix These Files Can’t be Opened by changing Security Settings
- Open Internet Explorer and click on Tools (Gear Icon top right corner) and Next, click on Internet Options and a new window will pop up.
- Next, click on Security tab and then click on Restricted Sites.
- Next, click on Custom Level button and Now in the new window, scroll down till you see Launching Applications and unsafe files section.
- By default, it will be disabled. All you have to do is select Enable and click on OK to save the settings.
That’s it! Now you should be able to open any application without getting These files can’t be opened error in Windows 7, 8 / 8.1 and Windows 10. However, do note that, if you follow the second method, make sure that the future application you are downloading are secure and safe for your PC. As Internet Explorer may not stop you from installing applications from distrusted sources.