System restore is an essential part of windows operating system that helps you to recover your system incase of system failure or system malfunctioning and recently while trying to restore my Windows 8.1 laptop to earlier date I faced a very strange error that was continuously preventing me to restore my system which was quite annoying to face.
The error says “There was an unexpected error in the properties page: System Restore encountered an error. Please try to run System Restore again. (0x81000203) Please close the property page and try again” each time while trying to configure system restore settings.
Moreover while trying to Open the system restore the system was showing no previous restore points to restore the system to earlier date which was really shocking to see because I usually keep creating restore points often to be on the safer side but this was horrible. The more frustrating part was that there was no proper fix available over the internet in a detailed step instructions and also most of the fixes were like registry editing, removal of third party software’s like Antiviruses, Tuneup utilities etc and to be frankly speaking none of these work. After an hour of rigorous search I finally fixed the system restore error 0x81000203 and therefore here I am going to share detailed step by step instructions on how to fix system restore error 0x81000203.
How to fix System Restore Error 0x81000203 : Steps to Follow
As mentioned above you will find lots of fixes over the internet like registry editing, removal of third party software’s like Antiviruses, Tuneup utilities etc but none of these work so just avoid these fixes and follow the below given simple fix that will surely fix your issue as it did in my case.
- Press Windows + R button to Open RUN Command box and here type services.msc as shown below and Hit Enter.
- Here look for VOLUME SHADOW COPY and make sure that it is ENABLED and its startup type is set to AUTOMATIC as shown below.
Note – To Change the startup type to AUTOMATIC Right click on VOLUME SHADOW COPY and select PROPERTIES and here you can change the startup type as shown below.
- Repeat the same for MICROSOFT SOFTWARE SHADOW COPY PROVIDER where you need to and make sure that it is ENABLED and its starup type is set to AUTOMATIC
- That’s all you need to follow and this will surely fix your error.
Related Searches :
- System restore error 0x81000203 fix