Many a times, you would come across an error “The User Profile Service service failed the logon. User profile cannot be loaded” whenever you try logging on to the windows vista, 8.7, 8.1 or 10 based laptops if temporary profile is being used. Usually, the error would occur when the user profile folder is deleted from the C drive instead of deleting that through control panel. When one performs this kind of mistake, user profile folder is found by the system which is deleted, and is unable to find the folder, owing to which this message occurs. For solving this issue, you have to rely on the following fixes.
You have to note the following things: – Important
- Before Method 3 and Method 1 are followed, the laptop has to be restarted and one has to log on with another user account for resolving the issue.
- If there is no way of logging on to the PC, opt for Method 2.
Method 1 – User Account Profile must be fixed
With these steps, the registry would be modified. The registry must be backed up before the following operations are done. This would help in avoiding problems:
- For Windows 7 After clicking start, type ‘regedit’ in search box, after which you need to press Enter. For Windows 8 and 8.1, type ‘regedit’ from the search box for locating Registry Editor.
- Then click on the registry subkey HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList
- The folder beginning with S-1-5 followed by a long number must be located in navigation pane
- Each of this folder must be clicked on. Then the ProfileImagePath entry must be located and double clicked for ensuring that the account which has the error is the user one.
If one is having 2 folders starting with S-1-5 followed by some long number, and one of them ending with .bak, the .bak folder must be renamed.
- After right clicking the folder without .bak extension, click rename and after typing .ba, press Enter.
- After right-clicking the folder named .bak, click rename and after removing .bak from the end of folder name, press Enter
- After right clicking the folder having the name .ba, rename and after changing the .ba to .bak, press Enter.
If you are having 1 folder starting with S-1-5 which is followed with long number and ends with .bak, it must be right clicked and then it must be renamed. Then, after removing .bak at the end of folder name, press Enter.
- After double-clicking the folder that doesn’t have .bak, then double click on RefCount and then go on to type 0. After that click on OK.
- After clicking on folder that doesn’t have ,bak, double click on State and after that type on 0. After this click on OK.
- After closing the Registry Editor, the PC must be restarted and one must login to the account.
Method 2 – The User Account must be Deleted and a New One must be created
Another way of fixing the “User Profile Service service failed the logon. User profile cannot be loaded” error is to create a new account and then copying the data from old account to new one.
- After clicking start, click on Control Panel. Under Family Safety and User Accounts, click remove or add user accounts. Then, a new account must be created.
- The name of this new account must be typed, after which an account name must be typed for creating the account.
Method 3- Error SID must be deleted and new profile must be created
When a profile is manually deleted, it doesn’t remove SID from the user profile list in registry. Owing to presence of SID, Windows would try loading this profile by using ProfileImagePath which directs to a non existent path. Therefore, the error SID has to be deleted and a new profile has to be created for fixing the error.
- The profile must be deleted using Computer Properties Dialog Box. After clicking start, right click on computer and after that click properties. After this is done, click on the option ‘change settings’.
- Then the ‘Advanced Tab’ option must be selected in ‘System Properties Dialog Box’. Opt for settings under the user profiles
- In this User Profile Dialogue box, select that profile which you wish to delete. After that, click delete and OK.
- After clicking Start, ‘regedit’ must be typed in the search box and Enter must be pressed.
- Then this registry subkey must be clicked. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList
- After right clicking on the SID that has to be removed, click on Delete
- After this error SID is deleted, log on to the PC and new profile must be created