If you are having trouble formating your USB Flash drive or pendrive, often encountering “Windows was unable to complete the format error” each time while trying to format your usb pen drive then you don’t need to worry anymore because here I have listed some of the best fixes that will surely fix your formatting issue irrespective of which usb pen drive or flash drive you are using. Generally it is seen that formatting is a not a big deal which can be easily done anytime anywhere with the help of computer or laptop but there are situations when formatting becomes a nightmare where windows fails to format your usb pen drive because of some unknown reasons and under these situations you need to take help from different forums or tech experts over Internet but usually it has been observed that most of the users efforts to resolve the error goes in vain therefore to help you out here below are some fixes that you may apply on your system to get rid of Windows was Unable to Complete the Format error forever.
Note – Please follow the fixes in the same order as mentioned below as they are based on priority basis.
Fix Windows Was Unable to Complete the Format Pendrive / Micro SD : Best Fixes
General Fix : First Step towards Fixing
Though this step is not going to deal technically but still you can give it a shot. Just try to change the File system format from FAT32 to NTFS or vice versa and Uncheck the Quick Format Option and then try formating the usb pen drive and check if this solves your problem or not. If your problem is not solved then proceed with the following given dedicated fixes for Windows was unable to complete the format USB Pendrive or USB Flash drive.
Fix 1 : Using Windows Disk Management Service
Method : 1
- Windows disk management is a single windows utility service that can help you solve all your attached storage devices issues whether it be your internal hard drive or external USB Flash drive. Just follow the below given steps to fix Windows Was Unable to Complete the Format USB Pendrive.
- Right Click on My Computer -> Select Manage -> Go to Disk Management -> Right Click on your USB drive and select Format as shown below.
- Here Select the file type to NTFS and Uncheck the Quick format option and then proceed with formating.
Method : 2 (Only for USB Hard drives)
- Again Right Click on My Computer -> Select Manage -> Go to Disk Management -> Right Click on your USB drive and select Change Drive Letter and Paths..
- Change the previously assigned letter and assign a new drive letter that has been not assigned earlier.
- Again Right Click on the USB Pendrive in Disk management and select New simple volume which will open a new wizard and here just select the FAT32 Format file system and then proceed with formating.
*If you are still unable to fix the issue via Disk Management don’t worry try the following procedure
Fix 2 : Using HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool
HP USB Disk storage format tool is an amazing Windows-based Format Utility for HP Drive Key or DiskOnKey USB Device that is used to create bootable disks, clean Flash drives and more. You don’t need to be an expert to use this tool you just need to simply install it on your system and then select the USB Drive that you want to format and select the file system type and then try formating the drive and this will surely help you to get rid of Windows Was Unable to Complete the Format error.
Fix 3 : Using Command Prompt
Command Prompt is also a good option for formating your usb pendrive, hard drive or micro sd card while facing Windows Was Unable to Complete the Format error.
- Open Command Prompt and type the command format /FS:FAT32 G: and hit ENTER
Note – Here G: is the drive letter assigned to the USB pen drive so please check your usb drive letter and assign accordingly.
- Wait for few minutes and your pendrive will be formatted soon.
Supported Searches :
- Windows was unable to complete the format microsd
- Windows was unable to complete the format hard disk
- Windows was unable to complete the format fix
- How to fix Windows was unable to complete the format windows
- Windows was unable to complete the format usb flash drive