The recently rolled out Microsoft Windows 8.1 offers lots of interesting features and a more user friendly interface but apart from providing these features it suffers from slight drawbacks out of which one of the most frustrating issue largerly reported by Windows 8.1 Users is the stuttering and freezing mouse lag while playing certain video games which includes popular game titles like Call of Duty Series,Hitman Absolution,Deus EX : Human Revolution,Metro 2033 and much more.
Reason for the Stuttering Mouse Lag :
This stuttering unwanted mouse lag is found to affect users having High DPI Gaming mice because windows 8.1 comes with better support for working on High DPI Displays and because of that the way the Windows handles the mouse has changed which finally results in stuttering and freezing mouse lag movements in games that don’t read raw mouse data.Just follow the steps given here for resolving the Windows 8.1 Mouse lag issue.
How to Fix Windows 8.1 Mouse Lag Issue : Steps to Follow
- After reviewing the mouse lag issue Microsoft has finally released a partial fix better known as a patch KB2908279 that fixes the problem in all the major games a full list of the supported games is mentioned below.You can download the patch from the below given links.
Windows 8.1 Mouse Lag Fix for x86 Version – Download
Windows 8.1 Mouse Lag Fix for x64 Version – Download
Supported Games :
- Call of Duty Series
- Counter Strike Series
- Deus EX : Human revolution
- Hitman Absolution
- Hitman Sniper Challenge
- Half Life 2
- Metro 2033
- Tomb Raider
Note – The above update fixes the mouse lag for the games listed above therefore if you are having the same mouse lag issue on some other game that is not listed above don’t worry you can follow the below given manual method to fix the freezing mouse lag.
For Games that are not in the Supported List – Fix
If you are facing the freezing mouse lag in games other than the above supported games then you can follow the procedure given here which includes manual registry fix through Windows Registry Editor.
Steps to Follow :
- First of all make sure that you have installed the above given patch already before following the next given steps.
- Open windows registry editor by typing the command regedit in RUN Command Box.
- Go to the Following Key
Note – Here you manually need to create the Layers Key and To Create it Right Click on AppCombatFlags -> New -> Type Layers -> Press Enter and you are done.
- Now Right Click on the Layers -> New -> String Value
- Here in the String Value Type the Complete path of the Game’s Exe File for example
C:\Program Files (x86)\Your game\game.exe
- After Providing the String Value Again Right Click on the String Value -> Modify and Type the Following text in the box as shown below.
- Now You need to Open Command Prompt as an Administrator and To Open it Type cmd in Windows Start Screen and Select Command Prompt -> Right Click on it -> Select Run As Administrator as shown below
- Now Type the Following Command and Press Enter as shown below.
- That’s all and You are all done.
Note – You have to follow the procedure again and again if you want to fix the mouse lag in different games.