As discussed in my earlier post that Microsoft has included this Group Policy Editor feature in only limited Windows 7 and Windows 8 OS Versions that includes Professional, Enterprise and Ultimate editions which means that if you are using the basic or home based Windows Versions then you will not be able to access Group Policy editor unless you manually install it via GPEDIT MSC Installer as discussed in my earlier post but some users were found reporting problems after installing Group Policy Editor in their Windows while running GPEDIT.MSC Command in RUN box they ended up facing “Snap-In creation failed The snap-in was not created, it may not be installed properly” or “Snap-in could not initialize” therefore here I have included a simple procedure by which you can easily fix this error.
Also to note that this below given method will work for anyone facing this kind of error no matter whether you have installed manually Group Policy editor in your windows or got it pre-installed but facing problem now onwards.Just check out this article to fix GPEDIT.MSC Snap-in creation failed error permanently.
How to Fix GPEDIT.MSC Snap-in Creation failed error – Best Ways
Method 1 – Fix it by Editing PATH Environment Variable
There are some cases in which some programs uninstall can lead you into this error by removing necessary pathing in the environment variable section of the system so what you need to do now is that you have to create and add those environment variables manually so just follow the below given steps.
- Go to My Computer -> Right Click on My Computer -> Select Properties and then Select Advanced Settings as shown below.
- Now Under the Advanced tab you will see a small option for Environment Variables Just Click on it.
- Under System Variables Double Click the Variable Path and Add the Following lines
Note – The Last one Wbem is the one that maybe missing so make sure that it is added in the PATH Variable
Warning – Also if other System variables appear in PATH don’t remove them just add these above one only.
- That’s it click on Ok and you are all done.
Method 2 – Only for those Facing after Installing GPEDIT Installer
If you are getting error something like “MMC could not create the snap-in” while running GPEDIT.MSC Command after installing the Group Policy editor in your Windows OS Versions after following the guide given here then you may proceed with the following steps to fix this issue.
- Run the GPEDIT.MSC Installer and Leave it at the last step (Do no finish the setup)
- Go to C:\Windows\Temp\gpedit\ folder
- There Right Click on x86.bat (For 32bit Windows Users) or x64.bat (For 64bit Windows Users) and Open it with Notepad
- There in the notepad file you will find a total of 6 string lines containing the following
- So edit those lines and REPLACE %username%:f with “%username%”:f
- Save the File and Run the .bat file by Right Click -> Run As Administrator
- That’s it and you are all done.